If you are one of those people who does not like to keep their desktop simple and want to make it look attractive with widgets and other customization, Rainmeter For Mac is probably the software you should go for.
Rainmeter For Mac is a desktop customization utility that is available for Windows. This open-source program was developed in 2001 by Kimmo Rainy Pekkola.
Rainmeter is one of the most popular, easy to use, and powerful utility programs. You can add different widgets and skins on your desktop with the help of this free software.
Unfortunately, Rainmeter is not officially available for any of the Mac computers. But there are tons of other options that you can try that will help you with customizing your desktop.
For those who want to customize their Mac computer desktops, there is a really close option you can get which is GeekTool.
GeekTool basically lets you add widgets to your Mac desktop and helps you create a more unique and attractive look, unlike the normal simple Mac OS X.
Download Rainmeter For Mac
Before jumping into downloading GeekTool, make sure you are having the proper version of it. You can download it from tynsoe.org directly.
If you have downloaded it, then move it to the Applications folder. This will be helpful if you ever clean your downloads folder. GeekTool will also auto-update whenever it’s new version is available.
When you open GeekTool you will be introduced to a primary window to get started. Make sure to click on ‘Automatically launch at login’.
Once you are in the software will make sure your Geeklets work as you intended. Getting access to all GeekTool options is made easy with the tools in the menu bar.
About GeekTool – The Rainmeter For Mac Alternative
As mentioned above, GeekTool is the best alternative for Rainmeter on Mac you can get. Now, we’ll talk about some of the best features of GeekTool.
There is some scripting you have to do in GeekTool but you don’t need to worry about that as we are going to discuss everything about this software.
The involvement of scripting might get you thinking. However, it is not that complicated and it is simple to use.
You can add any Geeklets which is the name given to widgets in this software. These are four simple modules available that you can apply to your desktop to display different information.
- Images of your family trips or other special occasions or other photos that you want to see every day can be put up on your desktop.
- You can put a folder on your desktop and it will automatically refresh and will rotate through pictures to refresh your memories.
- The script is a simple and easy way to display information on your desktop. You can display the text output the way you want.
- The web is a simple but powerful Geeklet that you can add to your desktop. This is somewhat similar to the Scripts Geeklet.
- Web basically shows you a whole web page on your desktop instead of just text. Also, you can generate your own HTML using your own script.
- One more Geeklet you can add is Logs. With the help of this tool, you will be able to keep track of what is happening in your computer right from your desktop.
Even though Rainmeter is not available for Mac, you are not left behind as GeekTool will help you in customizing your desktop just like Rainmeter.
Along with customization it also has some extra features that make GeekTool better than Rainmeter. GeekTool is easy to use but has some scripting involved.
An expert application developer, technology writer, who likes to discusses innovation and application development. His ability is in programming, portable applications, and games and on creating applications for Windows and Mac. You can contact me via email [email protected]